Kale (and chocolate!) smoothie recipe November 24 2014
Coming out of the winter months, I was feeling like I needed to start adding some raw and nutrient-dense foods into my day, but I didn't want to go crazy on detoxing and wasn't quite ready for lunchtime salads. At the same time I was wanting to deal with afternoon sweet/ energy cravings I was having.
This smoothie recipe sorted me out and easily kept me going until dinner. I hope the idea of kale and chocolate together isn't too scary for you to try. The flavours complement each other quite nicely. This recipe is rich in protein and energy. You need a reasonably good electric blender for this recipe - to shred the kale.
For those wondering, kale is a super-nutritious green vegetable, high in protein and minerals, belonging to the cabbage family but resembling, say, a curly and hardy spinach-like veggie. Look for it in your specialty fruit & veg or organic shop.
- 3/4 cup rice or almond milk
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, or a 1/2 orange or a tangy mandarin with a little water
- 1 scoop Nuzest Good Green Stuff (optional)
- 1 scoop NuzestClean Lean Protein or your favourite protein powder
- 3-4 heaped teaspoons of Raw Cacao, to taste
- 1/4 medium-large avocado (perfectly ripe is best) - this adds a beautiful creamy flavour and texture. If you don't have any avocado, then substitute with equivalent quantity of Good Health Raw Coconut Oil
- A decent handful of fresh kale, washed and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pinch of cayenne pepper (optional; more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional; more or less to taste).
- A few raw cacao nibs to sprinkle (optional)
Add ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth enough to drink. Adjust ingredients to taste. If you prefer more sweetness, try adding a little more Nuzest Good Green Stuff and/ or Clean Lean Protein.
My blender is easily my most-used appliance other than my stove. I have a really good one which chops finely, and it's worth every cent of my investment. Mine is a Tribest.